Developing listening for specific information at C1
by Esther Ratcliff
Stage 1 lead in
Aim:To give stds a chance to express opinions on the topic.
1. Stds talk about the item that they think best represents our century. (HMK set from previous day)
2. Feedback of ideas.
3. Stds answers Qs about time capsules.
Stage 2 pre-listening task
Aims: To familiarise the stds with the listening task again by reminding them of the techniques.
To prepare them for the task.
tch-stds stds-stds stds-tch (10 mins)
1. Elicit the types of listening at CAE.
2. Elicit info/techniques for the sentence completion task. Check ideas with PPT.
3. Stds apply their knowledge and predict the part of speech relevant for each space.
4. Feedback of ideas.
Stage 3 listening task
Aims: To give stds controlled listening for specific information practice.
To allow students to check their answers and reflect on the topic.
ind stds,stds-stds(15 mins)
1. Stds do the listening task.
2. Check together.
3. Stds listen again.
4. Check together.
5. Stds check the answers on the PPT.
6. Stds answer Q about the listening topic.
Stage 4 Post-listening analysis
Aims: To allow students to see the answers in the context of the whole script and to draw students' attention to difficult areas involving connected speech.
t-stds stds-stds (5 mins)
1. Stds look at answers in conext of the tapescript. (answers that are preceded by a weak grammatical form)
2. Stds look at answers in context of the tapescript (answers that involve changes to lexical sounds)
Stage 5 Controlled practice
Aims: To allow stds to analyse when elision happen in connected speech.
To give stds a chance to practise saying phrases paying attention to elided sounds.
stds-stds (20 mins)
1. Stds read the handout on when /t/ is elided
2. Stds say the sentences and decide which letters are left out. Listen and check. Stds check answers at the bottom of the page. Stds practise saying the phrases.
3. Stds read the handout on when /d/ is elided.
4. Stds say the sentences and decide which letters are left out. Listen and check. Stds check answers at the bottom of the page. Stds practise saying the phrases.
Stage 6 Analysis
Aim: To allow stds to analyse the tapescript and apply the rules of elision to the text they listened to.
t-stdsstds-stdsstds-t (5 mins)
1. Stds look at the answers in the tapescript to find examples of elision of /t/ and /d/.
2. Stds make a list of the things they have learnt about how to do this task.
To page 1 of 3
To the print friendly version
To the lesson plan index
To the articles index